Tips for building recovery into your day
Our fundamental human need is to spend and renew energy....
Most of us are good at spending energy but not always so good at recovering energy, yet constant energy expenditure without adequate recovery ultimately compromises performance, energy, health and eventually leads to burnout. A more in depth discussion on the importance of recovery is discussed in this earlier post on balancing stress and recovery. In the video below I share practical strategies and tips for building recovery into your day.
8 Tips for building recovery into your day:
- Take breaks every 90-120 minutes and disconnect from work. Be sure to refuel and hydrate too.
- Take a lunch break (ideally away from your working environment).
- Build exercise/movement into your day to stimulate energy.
- Deep breathing for 1-3 minutes will help to relieve tension and quieten a busy mind.
- Switch your phone off for 5-10 minutes will be sure to help you disconnect.
- Humour – we all feel energised after a good laugh.
- Use music to boost your mood, perhaps even create an energising playlist to listen to on your commute.
- Practice a few minutes of mindfulness to switch off and calm a busy mind. The Calm App is highly recommended.
For more information on how we can help you and your teams learn to balance stress and recovery please refer to our sections on Resilience and Mental & emotional wellbeing. Alternatively please get in touch.
Published: Tuesday 8 October 2019
Written by: Anna Hemmings, MBE, OLY.