High-performing teams CAN be made.
Let’s dispel the myth – once and for all – that creating a high-performing team is somehow just about good recruitment or that it just happens when high performers get together. It’s not. While they can have an impact, they are only a portion of what goes into building long-term sustainable high-performance.
Regardless of who is in your team and what its makeup is, some things can be done to establish better conditions for a high-performing team to flourish.
Establish a common goal – All members of the team should be clear on what the team’s goals and objectives are and they should be working towards this common goal.
– If there is not a common goal, it will be difficult for the team to work together effectively.
– Make sure that everyone on the team understands the importance of the goal, and why it is important to achieve it.
– Keep the goal in mind when making decisions about team members, resources, and tasks.
– Hold team members accountable for working towards the common goal.
By establishing a common goal, you can ensure that everyone on the team is working towards the same thing. This will make it easier for the team to communicate and collaborate, and it will make it more likely that the team will be successful.
Build trust – If you want your team to be successful, you need to allow them to bond with each other and build trust.
– This can be done in facilitated trust-building workshops and also by providing opportunities for team members to socialize outside of work, such as after-work events or team-building activities.
– You can also create opportunities for team members to work together on projects, such as task forces or committees.
– By allowing team members to interact with each other on a personal level, you can build trust and cohesion within the team.
Set high standards and expectations – It is important to set high standards and expectations for your team. Doing so will challenge them to perform at their best and reach their full potential.
– Make sure that everyone on the team is aware of and has committed to the standards and expectations.
– Be clear about what is expected and hold team members accountable for meeting those expectations.
– Provide feedback to team members on their performance and help them to identify areas for improvement.
– Celebrate successes and achievements and use them as opportunities to reinforce high standards and expectations.
By setting high standards and expectations, you can challenge your team to reach their full potential. If you provide clear guidance and feedback.
Encourage communication and collaboration – Encouraging communication and collaboration within the team are essential for its success.
– Make sure that team members feel comfortable communicating with each other.
– Encourage team members to share ideas and perspectives.
– Facilitate discussion and debate, and encourage different points of view.
– Help team members understand the importance of communication and collaboration, and how it can help the team to be successful.
By encouraging communication and collaboration, you can help the team to develop new ideas and perspectives. This will make it more likely that the team will be successful in achieving its goals.
Foster a sense of accountability – A sense of accountability is important for high-performing teams.
– Make sure that team members are aware of their responsibilities.
– Hold team members accountable for their actions and decisions.
– Help team members understand the importance of accountability, and how it can help the team to be successful.
A sense of accountability will help the team to take responsibility for their actions and decisions. This will make it more likely that the team will be successful in achieving its goals.
Building a high-performing team is not easy, but it is well worth the effort. By establishing a common goal, setting high standards and expectations, encouraging communication and collaboration, and fostering a sense of accountability, you can create a team that is capable of achieving great things.
What to do next?
Are you ready to build a high-performing team? Let’s talk.
Beyond The Barriers works with organisations like yours to get the best from their people. We can come in at any point to support you – and your organisation – as you move towards high performance.
Want to know more? Keep reading about high-performing teams.
1. Characteristics of high-performing teams
2. How to build a high-performing team
3. Leading high-performing teams
4. Performance profiling
5. Behaviours of high-performing teams
6. High-performing team model
7. High-performance culture