Employees are the backbone of any organization. Without them, the company would crumble. It’s important to manage employee resilience to keep them motivated and productive and to keep the organisation functional and profitable.
There are a few things you can do to manage employee resilience such as:
- Provide clarity of direction so that people understand why they are being asked to do something and how their personal contribution fits into the bigger picture – they then feel part of something and that increases motivation and engagement. Clarity of direction is essential when staff are working under pressure because it helps to filter out distractions and negativity and helps you to stay focused on what is important.
- Encourage employees to take breaks throughout the day. This will help them rejuvenate and come back fresh and focused. As a leader you can role model this and as others observe you, that will give them permission to do the same.
- Provide healthy food options and encourage employees to eat healthily. This will help them stay energized and focused.
- Make sure employees have a comfortable work environment. This will help reduce stress and increase productivity.
- Create an environment where people feel able to reach out and ask for support. Being vulnerable enough to ask for and accept support is a huge part of our resilience.
- Provide resilience training so that employees can learn how to build their resilience skills and start applying them in their lives
Above all, while resilience is about reacting to change, resilience management is about allowing employees to be certain of what they can be certain of. That might be job security, holidays, policies and procedures, vision and direction of the company.
Whatever you can nail down…nail down. This starts to give people psychological security where they can then begin to handle change and thrive in the face of adversity.
What to do next?
If you are unsure how to introduce resilience to your teams or the workplace, we can help.
Beyond the Barriers works with individuals and companies to build resilience and high performance in teams and individuals.
To find out how we can do it for you then get in touch.
More on resilience
Want to know more? Keep reading about resilience